quarrygirl.com

quarrygirl.com

The quarrums - VEGANS: let it rip

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: DAIYA! finally, stretchy and melty vegan cheese!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

Brivari wrote:
OK, Daiya is vegan
but weird!

The analysys of the cheddar and italian daiya I ordered from Pangea says that each is mostly at least one (more likely many different) acid modified starches (possibly acid thinned acetylated distarch phosphate). I've no real idea what that means<g>, but was told that starches processed like that form helical polysaccharide chains similar to gluten or casein proteins (In other words they get elastic and stringy). Unreacted cassava/arrowroot was almost undetectable. It seems they're making use of an ingredient loophole by processing their starch inhouse to avoid putting scary looking chemicals at the top of their ingredient list.

As far as edibility goes, Daiya is great the cheddar tastes real (from what I remember) and physically appears identical to restaurant supply bulk cheddar shreds (I'll test that opinion against some trusted omni's later this week). The Italian also looks exactly like bulk white cheese shreds, IMHO raw it doesn't taste quite right, but once cooked it's damn good. Raclette made with the daiyas was indistinguishable from the real cheeses at first, but Daiya cools quicker and loses its stretch MUCH faster.

One easy test to discern Daiya from real cheese is to burn it black, it breaks down nothing like dairy cheese.

where did you get daiya tested? i have some food i wanna test and don't know where to go!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:55 pm 

nastynick wrote:
where did you get daiya tested? i have some food i wanna test and don't know where to go!

LA has at least one top rate commercial lab, just google either analytic laboratory los angeles or food testing laboratory los angeles and you'll get a list of companies to contact that are local to LA. Another option If you've got college/university contacts (it's a LOT cheaper) is to find an interested prof, TA or the like to do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:27 pm 

just had some daiya eggplant parmesan from Cruzer's...it's off the hook! hubby said the magic words..."cheese paper." anyone done a vegan cheeseburger w/this stuff yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:18 pm 

Hi, this is my first post so I want to say thanks for this tremendous blog! It is a truly awesome resource. I had my first Katsu sandwich from Casa de Tree the other day and I have Quarrygirl.com to thank for it. Keep up the wonderful work! Now to my dumb query, one I hope won't have me shown the door right away. My wife and I finally tried Daiya last night, via a pizza from our local Whole Foods. While the stretch factor was indeed impressive, the flavor immediately reminded me of American cheese. I never cared much for American cheese, even as a young'un. I was wondering if there was a possibility, not personally being familiar with Daiya's product line, we got something other than the "Italian-style" shreds? I know I ought to be calling Whole Foods instead of bugging you guys, but I wanted to avoid the long hold time and coming off as a potential pain. No great shakes either way, just curious...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:41 pm 

which whole foods were you at? i got a pizza from the sherman oaks WF the other day and it had the cheddar daiya on it. the whole foods at 3rd and fairfax had the mozzarella.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:52 pm 

Corner of Riverside and Coldwater in Sherman Oaks. Not sure if that's the same one you visited, as there's another Sherman Oaks location on Sepulveda...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:55 pm 

WF on Coldwater = Sherman Oaks East
WF on Sepulveda = Sherman Oaks West

GoJoe, there are two flavors of Daiya, sounds like you got a pizza with mostly the "cheddar" variety, which I agree tastes a lot like American cheese (which makes it great for grilled cheese). There's also a mozzarella style version which doesn't taste as much like Kraft singles. The guy at WH East told me that when they make the pizzas there, they mix both the cheeses... though it sounds like yours might have been lacking in the mozzarella.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:12 pm 

Thanks for the info Foodeater, much appreciated. Wonder if there's anywhere I can try a pizza or sandwich with just the Mozzarella-style Daiya? Without making life miserable for the chef or waitstaff, of course. Simple as asking ahead of time or...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:14 pm 

GoJoe wrote:
Thanks for the info Foodeater, much appreciated. Wonder if there's anywhere I can try a pizza or sandwich with just the Mozzarella-style Daiya? Without making life miserable for the chef or waitstaff, of course. Simple as asking ahead of time or...

I bet if you ask the folks at Purgatory Pizza to do just the Mozzarella they'd be happy to oblige. I suggest trying it with their awesome vegan pesto, mmmmmmm!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:20 pm 

Gracias Foodeater, will do!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next